Flexible Spending Account Details & FAQ

HealthEquity FSA Participant Services: 877-583-4257
Access your FSA Account online:

The Flexible Spending Account (FSA) feature includes a debit card to simplify the process of accessing your FSA Funds. This FSA Debit card will act like a credit card, but it will only work at approved medical or pharmacy merchants or providers. You can use your FSA debit card at any medical provider or pharmacy where Visa cards are accepted – whether you are paying in the office, online, over the phone or paying the invoice that is sent to your home. If your doctor or pharmacy does not accept credit card payments, you will still be able to pay out of pocket and file a reimbursement claim online or by fax to access your funds.

Always save your receipts from FSA purchases, as you may be required to submit substantiation after a purchase is made.  Remember, you are not required to use the FSA Debit Card, and may chose to pay out of pocket and submit receipts for reimbursement at later times throughout the year.

Should you need additional cards, or a replacement card, you can order them by contacting HealthEquity.  Although you may have multiple cards should you chose to order them, each card will still be linked to one account. This account will contain the amount in full that you indicate during Open Enrollment.

If you enroll in a Health Care FSA during our Open Enrollment Period, you will have access to the full balance of your FSA on January 1 of the following year.  Just remember, the amount you designated during Open Enrollment cannot be changed during the year, unless you experience a qualifying life event. (Note: The Dependent Care Reimbursement Account is not first-dollar coverage, meaning that you must contribute funds to this account via payroll deductions before it is available to use).

Carryover provision for the Medical FSA

If you have any funds remaining in your Medical FSA at the end of a plan year, SMP allows up to $500 of those funds to be used for qualified medical expenses incurred during the following plan year.  Any amount in excess of $500 is forfeited. (Note: There is no carryover provision for the Dependent Care Reimbursement Account.  Any unused funds at the end of the calendar year will be forfeited).

Click here to view a PDF Brochure about the Health Care FSA Account
Click here to view a PDF Brochure about the Dependent Care Reimbursement Account

FSA Frequently Asked Questions:

Q: Do I have to be enrolled in our medical plan to have an FSA with Standard?
A: No.  Any employee who is eligible for benefits can enroll in an FSA, even if they are covered under their spouse's medical coverage or another plan.

Q. Who can use my FSA?
A. Any eligible dependent, whether or not they are covered on your medical, dental or vision plan, is eligible to use your FSA funds.

Q: How do I know if my doctor will accept my FSA Card?
A: Any doctor or provider who accepts credit cards as a form of payment will accept your FSA Debit Card.  The FSA Debit Card works just like a credit card.

Q: Where is my FSA Card accepted?
A: The card is accepted at medical and dental offices, hospitals, healthcare clinics, pharmacies and online pharmacies.  Additionally, many large retailers who sell eligible healthcare items have received IRS approval to accept the card.

Q: What if my doctor does not take Credit Cards?
A: If your doctor does not accept Credit Cards as a form of payment for services, you will have to pay the bill out of pocket and submit an online or paper claim to be reimbursed from your FSA.  FSA Reimbursement forms can be found in the Document Library.

Q. If I use my FSA debit card at the doctor's office do I then need to file a claim to make sure it goes against my deductible?
A. In-Network Providers are required to bill Anthem for a service, prior to requesting payment from you. Once they bill Anthem, an Explanation of Benefits (EOB) is generated, and is sent to your home.  The doctor or provider will also receive a copy of this EOB.  It is important for you to review the information on the EOB, as this is how you will find out the discounted amount you will owe your provider. 

Some doctors, however, may demand payment at the time of service. If this is the case and you pay for a doctor’s visit on the same day as your visit using your FSA Debit Card, Anthem will not know that you have paid this portion of your deductible unless your doctor or the provider files a claim with Anthem. Many providers will do this as a standard procedure, but you might want to ask the provider to file a claim on your behalf since you have a deductible.

Always save your receipts for FSA purchases, as the IRS may request them for proof of eligibility at the end of the year.

Q. Will the FSA still be automatically run through with in-network doctors or will I have to use my debit card?
A. No, there will be no “automatic reimbursements.” If you do not use your FSA Debit Card to pay for services, you must submit an online or paper claim.

Q: How will I use the card to pay for my Mail-Order Prescriptions?
A: The FSA Debit Card is just like a Credit Card, and you can enter the card information online to pay for your prescriptions through the mail order program.

Q: If I don't use my FSA Debit Card to pay for services, how do I get my money?
A: Any eligible service that you pay for out of pocket can be submitted using an online or paper claim.

Q: Do I need to save my receipts if I use my FSA Card?
A: Since no taxes are taken on the funds in your FSA Account, the IRS requires that you retain your itemized receipts for all purchases made with the card.  It may be necessary to submit a receipt to prove the eligibility of a purchase you have already made.  You will be notified by HealthEquity if a receipt is needed for a particular purchase.  Please make a habit of saving all of your itemized purchase receipts.

Q: Will my spouse get his/her own card?
A: Employees who enroll in an FSA will receive one debit card.  You can request additional cards by contacting HealthEquity.

Q. If I am getting one debit card whose name will be on it?
A. If you enroll in an FSA, the debit card mailed to you will be in the name of the employee or subscriber. After our plans go live on January 1, you will be able to order additional cards for your eligible dependents. Additional cards ordered for dependents will be issued in the name of the dependent requested.

Q. Will the debit card have a pin number to use with it?
A. No. If you hand the FSA Card over for someone to swipe - tell them that it is "credit."  If using a self-guided payment device, select “credit” when using the card. Your card will have a Visa logo on it. Any eligible provider that accepts Visa will accept your card.

Q. If I enroll in the FSA and I incur expenses between when I enroll and January 1st, can I use the FSA?
A. No. Open Enrollment is the time when we elect our coverage for the following year, which begins on January 1.  You can use your FSA for expenses incurred between January 1 and December 31 of a given plan year.

Q. Can I use FSA for prescription drugs?
A. Yes, you can use your FSA to pay for prescription drug copays.  You can also use it to pay your deductible and coinsurance for other services.

Q. Can I use FSA for chiropractors?
A. Yes, chiropractic care is an eligible FSA expense.

Q. Can I use the FSA for cosmetic surgery?
A. Cosmetic surgery is not an eligible FSA expense. It may be eligible if surgery is necessary to correct a deformity arising from, or directly related to, a congenial abnormality, a personal injury resulting from an accident or trauma, or disfiguring disease.

Q. Since over the counter medications and supplies are no longer eligible FSA expenses, can I have my doctor write a prescription for them so they will be covered?
A. Yes.

Q. If I go to a large retail drug store and get their $4.00 prescription instead of paying through our insurance, can I use my FSA?
A. Yes, prescription medication is an eligible FSA expense, and you can use your FSA Debit card to pay for any prescription medication for you or one of your dependents – even if you do not use our insurance for the prescription.

Q. What if I lose my FSA Debit Card?
A. If you lose your FSA Debit card, you should treat this as if you lost your personal credit card.  Contact HealthEquity immediately no notify them that your card has been lost.  They will cancel your card and reissue one to you.  In the event that you need to access care before a new card can be sent to you, you will be able to file online or paper claims.

Q. What is the minimum amount for an FSA account?
A. The minimum FSA contribution is $1 per week ($52/year).

Q. What is the maximum amount for a FSA Account?
A. The maximum FSA contribution is $2,650 per family per year.